background
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Terrifying
Last night I had one of the scariest, most terrifying moments of my entire life. The day was normal enough. School for the kids. Then we went to Weston's very first ever band concert. :) They did awesome. We went for FHE. Then we came home to have ice cream sundaes for treats. I dished up the bowls of ice cream and gave them to each child. As I was at the fridge to get the chocolate syrup, I heard a strange sound behind me at the kitchen table. I rush over to find that Evan has slipped under the table and that he is the one making a strange gurgling kind of sound. I quickly pull him out from under the table to find him choking. Like really, really choking!!! He was blue all around his mouth. And he was foaming, bubbling ice cream out of his mouth. I immediately start to give him back blows, hoping that it will dislodge the ice cream that I figure he must be choking on. ICE CREAM!! Who knew you could even choke on that?!? The back blows don't work. I then try the Heimlich. Nothing. He is turning more blue and frantic by the second. And the thought runs through my head that I am going to need to call 911 in just a second if I can't get him breathing. And I am fully aware that my precious child's life is hanging in the balance. And it is up to me to help him and make it possible for him to breathe again. I give more back blows. Nothing. I do the Heimlich again and still nothing happens. I am beginning to panic. I am terrified. And Barth is still not home from the concert yet because he made a quick stop at the store. All of the children are watching the whole thing transpire. I have a steady stream of silent prayer running in my head to my Father in Heaven to help me. I am afraid that if I do the Heimlich much harder that I will hurt Evan. But if I don't try it harder, he could die, right there in my arms. And I cannot even stand the thought of that. And so, I give one more Heimlich. And out pops an enormous hunk of ice cream and Evan gasps. And sputters, and cries! It is the best thing I have heard in a long time. He continues to cough and choke and spit up chocolate ice cream. I finally am able to give him a drink to help clear his mouth. All he wants is for me to hold him. I call Barth to tell him what has just happened. He hurries home. I am shaking. Like a leaf. I offer up more silent prayers of gratitude for saving my child's life. And I hold Evan. For the next hour. And he is content to be held. No surprise, he doesn't want any ice cream. At bed time I hug all of my children extra tight to me and make sure they each know how much I love them. Who would have thought at this same time yesterday that Evan was choking and could have died? No one. Each moment is precious. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father that Evan is okay. I am ever, ever thankful!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is so scary. I cant even imagine. I am so glad u knew what to do. And who knew ice cream? I guess he just inhaled a big hard chunk? I need to review these first aid measures myself. That is way to close....so glad Evan is happy and healthy thanks to his momma.
I would have been terrified! I'm so thankful he is okay...I wouldn't be surprised if he has an aversion to ice cream now. Poor baby. :'( Good thing his Momma knew just what to do! Hugs and kisses from Auntie M. XOXOX!
Thanks to all that lifeguard training, Red Cross first aid classes, and most of all to answered prayers, we will have our little Evan from Heaven for more time... :) That was so frightening! I'm glad both of you are okay now.
Post a Comment