background

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Making "Clouds"

 Online a few days ago, I found this blog that talked about how they liked to make "clouds" by microwaving Ivory soap.  It looked so cool that I thought that I would try it with my kiddos.  It was fun to watch.  I use Ivory to make laundry detergent, so I had some on hand to try.  Once all the kids got home from school we tried it out.  It just takes a few minutes and it really was pretty cool.  :)
It feels really cool too.  Not slimy or anything.  It reminds me of a marshmallow.  :)  They lady that did the blog said that the more fresh, or right from the store, that the soap was, the bigger clouds the soap made.  We have had ours for quite a while, so perhaps that is why it didn't make as big of a cloud.  Still, it is fun to handle.  She said that she let her kids break it all apart and then she would add a little water to it and then use a cookie cutter to re-mold it into shaped soap.  I will just use mine to make more laundry detergent.  :)  Still, it was a cool science project!!!  I just had to share!!!

*as a side note, if you do want to try it, she said it only works with Ivory soap.  And you should put it on a sheet of wax paper, or plastic wrap, or a paper plate so that your microwave plate doesn't get soap residue on it.  We used wax paper.  :)

3 comments:

Debi said...

I saw that one time when I was looking at a NOVA science link! How long did it take to make a "cloud" like that? I like Weston's hair all combed and "pretty". Don't tell him I said that, though. :)

Jessica G. said...

Very cool! Definitely going to try this!
What recipe do you use for your laundry detergent?

Amanda said...

Cool! I will have to get some Ivory!