background

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Great Grandma Gorgeous

Okay, so I was going to find more pictures for this post, but I am struggling with going through all of my cds of pictures, and if I don't get this posted, I fear that my blogging will fall off the face of the earth (more so than it already has)!!  Anyway, a few weeks ago, Barth's grandma passed away.  She was 96. She was one of the sweetest ladies that I have known.  The picture above was from our wedding all of those many years ago.  
I have lots of good memories of Barth's grandma, but not nearly as many as Barth has.  She cared for him as a little boy and so he has many, many fond memories of her!!!  We used to go up to her condo when we were just young and fairly newly married.  We would do our laundry there.  She would always make sure to take us shopping and get us gas in our car.  Sometimes she would take us to dinner.  She loved holding her great grandkids.
Not too long before we moved to Texas after Barth graduated, Grandma moved in with Barth's parents. We loved to have her come and stay when G & G Yorke went on trips.  She loved to read.  :)  She taught me how to make some of the recipes that Barth loves the best.  She taught me to make Swedish meatballs that she and Barth used to make when he was a boy.  She also taught me to make Swedish cookies that we make every year at Christmas.  :)  
She loved all the grandkids!!  We went to see her this summer when we visited.  She was at the point where she was falling a lot and so she was in a nursing home.  We took all of our kids to go and see her most every day when we were staying at Grandma and Grandpa Yorke's.  Amber couldn't quite say Great Grandma Burgess, so she called her Great Grandma Gorgeous instead!  I liked it and so that is what we all called her there at the end.  :)  Barth was able to fly out to Utah to attend the funeral and be with his family.  I really wished that we had been able to attend.  Though she will be missed, she had a full, happy life.  I am sure that she is now up in heaven rejoicing with her husband about all that she was able to do in mortality!!  We love you Great Grandma Gorgeous!!  Till we meet again!!!

4 comments:

Debi said...

I know she was a special woman...just look at what a wonderful family she raised....and we couldn't live without her favorite grandson. :)

Amanda said...

What a sweet tribute!

Jessica G. said...

I'm sorry for your loss…but that's not quite right, is it? It's not a loss, but more like a brief separation before an eternal reunion. Your memories are so sweet!

Emily said...

I really appreciate your sweet words and pictures. Grandma certainly made all of us feel loved. The last time we saw her, in July, she was so sick, but she kept saying she wished she could make us dinner. Even though I know she is in a better place, I can't help but missing her terribly. Thanks again for sharing your precious memories.