background

Monday, March 26, 2007

Something I want to remember

Okay this post is for me so that I can remember something that happened at Weston's open house last week. Since this is my journal, I figured that I had better write about it here. If you are not into hearing about how great my child is, you had better switch blogs!! This is something that I want to remember and my brain is all but gone these days!!

Last week Weston and I went to his Spring Open House at his school. Daddy stayed home with the other boys so it was a special treat for just Weston and I. The open house started out with the PTA part and was followed by the schools jump roping team performing. Weston thought that this was the coolest thing that he had ever seen. When I told him that I used to do the same thing at my elementary school when I was little he looked at me as if I were nuts. You know, almost like, "You were never that age Mommy!" Anyway, after the thrilling tricks and double dutch jumping we headed over to his classroom. There were not many kids there yet. I looked at all the work that he had done so far. He had a book on his desk about seasons that he had dedicated, nicely enough, to me because, as it said on the dedication page, "she is my favorite person." Flattery will get you everywhere!!!!! Then I looked over his writing folder and at his nice, clean desk. I saw the egg, the caterpillar, and other works of art that he had made. Then it was time to talk to the teacher. We have really loved Weston's teacher this year. She has been a lot of fun and Weston loves her exuberant personality. So, I turn to her and say, "Well Weston told me that he told you that we were moving." At this point, her jaw drops visibly!! "No!!!" she cries, "You can't move!! I love that kid!!!!!" Now of course all mothers love to hear things like that about their child. It, of course, made me feel good that he was well loved by his teacher. Then she proceeds to tell me that he is her favorite. That he is the favorite of the entire class. She tells me what a good natured thing he is. She tells me that he is sensitive and is so kind to all the other children. How he never has an unkind word. She tells me how earlier in the year when a friend moved away, he cried. She says how at lunch, when the girl sitting next to him pinched his cheek (like a grandma would) and told him that he was cute, he simply said, "Thank you!" None of the "leave me alone", or "teacher, she's bugging me" stuff that kids his age usually do. Anyway, I am so glad to hear that he is a good boy, well liked and does so well in school. And even though I know that some of how he is is just the way that he is wired (you know calm, easy going), it makes me feel like I am doing a half decent job in teaching my kids how to behave and be kind. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that gives me so much help and guidance in my efforts. I know that if it were not for a very supportive husband and the teachings that I hold dear, I would not be nearly as successful in my endeavors. I am so glad that I can stay home with my kids and be teaching them every day the things that are important. It is truly a blessing to be at home where I should be!!!!

oh-and on a side note, I asked Weston on the way home from the open house about his telling his teacher about moving. He replied that she had asked him what he was doing for Spring Break and he told her that he was going to "Ohio, Cincinnati!" (as he lovingly says it!) He figured that this was "telling" his teacher about the move. Oh well, he is just 6!!

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Kristie....that is too sweet:) I bet you just melted at hearing all that:) Let me tell you...as a teacher...when your favorite kid (or any good kid) moves you are sad!!!!! What a great kid:)

Heather said...

I need to meet your sweet Weston one of these days!

Jessica G. said...

Can I trade you boys so you can teach Mr Wrestlemania to be nice to his sister? :)
About him not believing you ever were young...when I was teaching Sunbeams, there was one Sunday that was particularly rough. One kid whines "I want my mommy." My response was to sigh and say "I want my mommy, too." That sparked a huge debate on whether or not adults had mommies.

Amanda said...

Kristie---So when are you guys moving? When is next Dr. Appt....do you find out the sex then?

Kristie said...

Annette- we are moving on Tuesday (one week from today) and I have a dr appt on friday. I am not really expecting an ultrasound on that day but they might do one since we are moving. I'll let you know if they do one and we find something out!!!

Amanda said...

wow--Kristie....You are moving soon!!!!! Let us know about the Doc. on Friday:)

Debi said...

I crazy daughter. That was Amanda asking you when you were moving, not Annette. Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing first hand from you what Kentucky looks like with pictures, etc.

Kristie said...

Just shows you that my brain is really going!!! Sorry Amanda!!!