background

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Allergic Birthday Boy!!

Well, today is Weston's 7th birthday!!! I can't believe that he is that old!!! I can't believe that I am old enough to have a 7 yr old!!! Where is the time going to? I don't know!! Yesterday Weston and the rest of the 1st grade had a field trip to Big Bone Lick State Park. It is about 10 minutes from here and they spent the day exploring and looking at the places that they discovered things like Mammoth and Sabertooth bones here in Kentucky. Since it was an outside trip, they asked that the kids be sunscreened before they left that day. Now, you may not know, but Weston is very allergic to most sunscreens. He gets a terrible rash that borders on hives. We have tried all sorts of sunscreens and the only kind that ever worked for us was the Coppertone Kids 6 hour waterproof. Well, last year they changed the formula away from the prolonged waterproof but I was lucky enough to find the old kind (what was left of the 6 hour kind) at Target one day and bought both bottles that they had. Well, we used them all up last summer. Knowing that this trip was coming up and the reactions that Weston has had previously to different sunscreens, I decided to go ahead and try the new Coppertone Kids and hope for the best. He came home from his fieldtrip and I saw red on his neck. I just figured that I had missed some spots of the sunscreen and didn't think any further about it until this morning when he woke up looking like a rashy tomato on his neck, face, ears and insides of his arms!! Poor little birthday boy. He doesn't seem to be too itchy, but I guess that Coppertone is now out too!!! If anyone has heard of a good hypo-allergenic sunscreen, I would love to know about it!!! Most of the sunscreens say that they are hypo-allergenic, but Weston still reacts to them. We have tried most of the ones that are available at Wal-Mart and Target. I just wish that I could find a good one that would work for him. We are having a great birthday day today and I will post some pictures of that later on this evening when all is said and done. Happy Birthday to my little (or I guess that I should say NOT so little) boy!!

4 comments:

molly said...

My suggestion would be to google hypoallergenic sunscreen and see what your search comes up with. You may have to pay a little bit more but if it works it would definitely be worth it. Good luck!

Amanda said...

That is crazy that he is allergic to every kind!!! I hope you can fins something to try in your google search:) Sounds like a fun field trip though! How cool to have a state park 10 min from where you live! I can't wait to see his birthday pictures....and hear about his day!!!!! HAPPY, HAPPY, BIRTHDAY WESTON!!!

Jessica G. said...

Yikes, what a crazy birthday! At least he isn't itchy, that's good.
Happy Birthday, kiddo!

Debi said...

I was going to give Molly's suggestion. Now that you know the ingredients that he is allergic to, maybe you can google hypoallergenic sunscreen without _____ (whatever the ingredient is).