background

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Our Exciting FHE

Last night for FHE, our plan was to take plates of cookies to various families in our ward and go caroling at the same time. We had six families that we were planning to carol. I had made cookies on Saturday when it was snowy and yesterday Brian helped me to make some more. I had the plates all wrapped up with a nice bow and card on top. Caroling went well. I had made up little jingle bell bands for the boys to shake as we sang "Jingle Bells" and then "We Wish You A Merry Christmas!" The boys had fun. It was a very chilly 20 outside but it was still fun going to the different houses. There was one family's home that we had already passed by twice, but they weren't home. To kill a bit of time before we tried one last time, we decided to stop at Blockbuster so that Barth could get gift cards for his team since his Christmas luncheon was the next day. Amber was asleep in the car, so we decided that Barth would just quickly run in rather than drag the whole family in to the place. As I sat there in the front seat, the kids were commenting on how small the baskets from Krogers looked in the parking lot. As I was looking around, I noticed a man standing outside a car about 5 spaces away from mine. He had his hood up and had a backpack FULL to the point of bursting. My first thought was that he looked mighty suspicious. He kept looking around and then noticed me looking at him. Since I thought that he was up to no good, I wasn't going to sit and stare at him. I was silently praying that Barth would just hurry up and even tried to call him on his phone. A few minutes later, the man got in his car that had the back window busted out. And there he sat. Again, I thought that it was odd. At that point I decided that, to be safe, I would move to the back seat. As I sat in the back talking with the boys and trying to calm Amber who was now screaming her little head off, I decided to look toward the store instead. All of the sudden, another guy, dressed in all red, came bursting out of the door with his arms full of what I assumed were videos. He jumped in the car where the other suspicious guy was waiting and off they drove. I got the license plate number and exclaimed to my kids, "That man just robbed the store!!!" At that same instant, an employee came running out to get the license plate number too. Shortly after Barth came out. I said, "Um, I think that Blockbuster just got robbed!" He said, "Yeah, they did. The guy stole a bunch of games." I went in to see if they needed me to stay for the police to tell them what I had seen, but they said that they had the description of the guy and had the license plate number and everything. WOW!!! That was sure crazy! I was just glad that there weren't guns involved or anything like that. After witnessing the robbery, we caroled our last family and went on home!! It had been a very exciting night for us!!! It is one that I am sure I will not soon forget!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

WOW---that is the kind of excitement I don't want! SO glad that you guys were safe!!!

Amanda said...

you guys are AWESOME to go out caroling and delivering cookies with 4 little kids and a still newborn baby!!!!!

Jessica G. said...

Whoa! That sure made for a memorable night! I hope it didn't put a damper on the evening for the kids.

Heather said...

That is scary! I'm glad everyone is okay!

Debi said...

I am surprised they didn't want your take on the situation. I doubt the guy inside the store who got the description even knew there was an accomplice. Maybe you ought to call the non-emergency number of the police department and ask if they want that information....

Shelly's Space said...

What an exciting night! I agree with Amanda....you are very awesome parents to take the kids out...baby and all!!