background

Friday, January 30, 2009

Scripture Power

This past Sunday, our bishop handed out this flip chart kind of a thing with a challenge. The chart outlined what scriptures should be read in order to read the Book of Mormon in 100 days. Each day includes the chapters to be read, a scripture to mark, another scripture of the day, and a quote by one of the prophets. We usually read scripture stories at night for our scriptures, but decided that this would be a good challenge to take for the whole family. The boys are really into it. They set out pillows and blankets for us all to sit on every night. Aaron is excited to have a scripture marking pencil, and it has encouraged Weston and Brian to read on their own once they have gone to bed. (They want to be ahead of us as a family!!) Since I am not sure how much Aaron really gets out of the whole thing, I continue to read him out of the kid scripture stories in the mornings. And while this takes much longer to read than before (between 30 minutes and an hour) the kids love it and as soon as dinner is done each night are grabbing their scriptures to get to our reading. I am amazed at how much Weston and Brian really know and how even Aaron can answer some of the questions about what is happening in the scriptures too. Even though it hasn't been a week yet, we are loving the new routine. We hope to meet the challenge and have the Book of Mormon read in the 100 days allotted.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

okay....YOU ARE SUPERWOMAN.

Jessica G. said...

Impressive! I don't think that even I have managed to read it 100 days, much less gotten the kids to do so!

Melissa said...

That's so exciting! You didn't tell me about this on the phone! You should take a picture of the flip chart thing and post it so we can see it!!! :) I'm so glad that everyone's enjoying the challenge!!

Chris said...

What a cool routine. Isn't it amazing how kids learn more than we think they do!

Debi said...

Yes, I agree with Melissa, I would love to see the flip chart. Will you read the ENTIRE Book of Mormon with the kids? The Isaiah passages are going to be pretty hard for them to come to grips with.

Debi said...

Yes, I agree with Melissa, I would love to see the flip chart. Will you read the ENTIRE Book of Mormon with the kids? The Isaiah passages are going to be pretty hard for them to come to grips with.