background

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ice Skating Tradition

It has become our family tradition to go ice skating during our Christmas break!! :) This was our 4th time to brave the elements and enjoy an afternoon of ice skating! (Can you believe that we have been here that long? Me neither!) It has been cold here lately, which is obvious by the snow on the ground that hasn't melted in weeks, but it got up to 30 today, and the sun was shining, so we decided to head out to ice skate. I took the 4 oldest out on the ice and Barth took Evan!
Barth went to go and get some hot chocolate for us all since it was still quite cold out due to the fact that the wind was blowing and the buildings downtown meant shade instead of sunshine. By the time he got back, Brian was really about done skating. He fell a bunch of times and his feet were hurting. He did have fun though, but was glad to have a break.
Aaron was our little master skater!! He only stayed by me for all of 3 minutes, then he was off on his own. You can see him there amongst all the people! He did fall, but had no trouble getting back up on his own and then going again. It was actually kind of fun to watch him skate. He was about half the rink ahead of Amber and I, and when he fell, there were times when people would try to help him up. Almost every time, they would look around for his parent. I am sure they were wondering what parent would let their tiny kid out there by himself to skate! :) No matter, he really is 5 and was fine to be out there a little ahead of me, doing his own thing!!! He was quite a good skater!
Weston had a blast! He has gotten so much better than that first year that we went and they spent the entire hour falling and they got their picture in the paper!! He had fun skating all around on his own. You can also see Amber and I not far behind him in this picture.
It was crowded, but it always is when we go! Weston was very proud of himself for doing so well. He did a great job with his skating this year!
Aaron out skating it up! At one point I took Aaron and Amber off the ice to give them a break, but they both started to fuss and tell me that they didn't need a break and that they wanted back on the ice......so back out we went! No break for us!! :) They did awesome!
On our very last lap before they cleared the ice for resurfacing, Weston passed by us. Amber let got of my hand and started yelling, "Bubby! Bubby!" at him. She skated over to him, held his hand and skated one lap with him before we got off. We had been there for an hour and a half or so, and it was cold, so we decided not to wait for the ice to be resurfaced.
After we were done we headed to a little place there on fountain square for dinner. Barth had gotten a gift certificate from one of the vendors that he works with, so we used it to get some dinner after our fun afternoon. The food was okay, but not a place that I would have really paid to have eaten at! But for free, it was fine! All in all, we had a wonderful afternoon together as a family! I am glad that we can do fun things together as a family. It is fun to have some fun traditions that we do! I am thankful for the family that we have!!!!

5 comments:

Debi said...

That was fun reading about the ice skating tradition! I love Ambers pretty pink coat. That's neat how well Aaron could skate. :) Sounds like you guys had a fun day.

Amanda said...

Fun tradition;) P and I are going to try to continue our tradition of skating on Christmas break this week too;)

Ashley Smith said...

That is a great tradition! I can't wait until our kids are older so we can start going again.

Melissa said...

I remember when you blogged about Weston and Brian getting their pictures in the paper! :) And that was so sweet of Weston to ice skate around the rink with Amber. :) This looks like a very fun tradition! And I'm glad that Evan got to be a part of the whole tradition, too. :)

Melissa said...

P.S.--Aaron looks so brave out there, skating it up on the ice rink! :) Yay for Aaron!!!