background

Monday, April 06, 2015

Odyssey of the Mind Competition

 The first day of Spring Break, Saturday March 28, Brian had his State Odyssey of the Mind competition.  They had to be there bright and early at 7 am.  They had the very first long term (or skit) time of 8:30.  They got there and then got busy getting everything assembled.  Once they got it all set up they all went to get changed.  Brian was taking a VERY long time.  I decided that there must be something wrong so I went to go over to the bathroom to see what was the problem.  I walked up just as he was coming out.  Poor guy- he had forgotten his white shirt and shorts.  He wasn't sure about being Zeus in just his toga without the shirt underneath, but there wasn't time to run home and make it back before they went on.  So, I told him that he looked fine and that it would all be okay.  He rolled up his pants really high and went without a shirt. 
 Then it was time for the last minute instructions before they moved on back to the staging area!  They were nervous but excited!  Brian was on a team of all girls this year.  He didn't mind though.  He is an easy going guy and all of these girls were nice.
 Here they are waiting to go on to perform their skit.  Their problem was based on Pandora's box.  But it had to incorporate a video game into it.
 Brian was on at the very beginning to give the key to the box and then he was the voice that announced each level as the game went on and a few things like that.
 The person playing the game (in white) had to defeat 3 things in order to complete the game.  The first one was greed.  Here she is here!
 Then she had to defeat something else- I can't remember exactly- but for this one they had a telemarketer.  That part was sooo funny!!!  When the player defeated each one she got part of a key to unlock the box.
 Finally hope was set free and made all right with the world again and the game was over.  It was a really fun skit and they made some great props.
 Afterwards the judges all looked over their things and talked to the kids.  After that the kids went and changed and we went and watched a few of the other skits.  Then they went and practiced spontaneous before competing in that.  After that we left and went home since Evan was sick.  I went and took Aaron and Amber to the primary Easter Egg hunt where Aaron told me that he wasn't feeling good either.  Turns out he was sick too.  After the hunt we went back home (we weren't there at the park for the hunt too long- there was only a high of 38 that day!) and had a little bit of time to relax before heading back for the awards.
They had really hoped to advance on to the World Finals, but they came in 5th.  I thought that they did a great job!!  Brian had a fun time this year.  Afterwards we celebrated his hard work with an ice cream before heading home!!  What a great start to our spring break!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Good job on working hard to Brian! I am glad I got to see the practice presentation. :)

Amanda said...

I know that is many hours of hard work! Brian should be proud! And it sounds like that was a very busy weekend for u with sick kids and many activites to get to! (Although i bet that is pretty normal for u!)