
About a month ago, the mom of the other boy that is Weston's age in our ward called. She wanted to know if Weston wanted to play basketball this season with
Jaren. We said that sounded like fun, so we headed over to tryouts. Just a few weeks ago, they got the teams together and after a little bit of finagling, we got both boys on the same team. Although they have school teams here, the other mom said that she had really liked this particular program for basketball. So far I have been very impressed. It is just my speed. It is a Christian league and the games are played at a local baptist church. Each practice is started with a prayer. The boys are taught to be good sports, and be happy when your opposing team scores at the games. Weston had his first game of the season on Saturday. He thought that it was a lot of fun. The teams play half court at this age, and each game is started with a word of prayer by the youth minister. The referees were SO kind! When some of the kids forgot and began to travel, the ref would blow the whistle and kindly explain the rules, and then let the player try again. All the boys had a great time. After the game was over, each player was awarded a star that will be ironed onto his sleeve. There were stars for best sportmanship, best defense, best offence, most Christ-like, etc. The t-shirts and reversible jerseys were included in the fee that we paid. They ask the players to all wear the t-shirts under their jerseys so that they are modest. How nice is that? So far, I have been so happy with how things are going. Weston is really learning how to play ball well, and the atmosphere is so nice. I am glad that
Jaren's mom made the suggestion.

Here are the boys lining up for the opening jump ball. Notice the wrist bands? Those are to help the boys know who they are supposed to be guarding. Weston's team was the gators.

Since the boys had only had 2 practices prior to the game, they had talked only a little bit about defense. Weston hadn't quite figured out yet that you only had to guard your man when his team didn't have the ball. He guarded his guy the entire time!!!! It was pretty cute.

Next time I will have to get a picture of Weston and
Jaren together!!
3 comments:
HOW FUN! I love basket ball:) What a cool team:)
It seems like it is a great set- up! Weston is our family basketball star! :)
I ALMOST put Addi and Jenna in Upwards Cheerleading, but at the last minute decided against it. After reading this, I wish I would have done it. How much fun!!
Post a Comment