background

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

True spirit of Christmas

Just now I was the recipient of the true spirit of Christmas. Christ-like service. As you can see, it snowed this morning. When I went out to pick of Brian from school, the snow was coming down strong and the roads were a mess. I barely made it up my street. I decided that even though they were making no announcement about letting school out early, I really didn't want to risk driving in the mess this afternoon too, so I went ahead and picked up Weston at the same time. None of the streets had been salted or plowed yet and I was slipping all over the place. As I turned onto our street, I thought that I could make it to our driveway, but was worried about actually making it up the driveway. As I turned our van to go up the driveway, my van slipped sideways further down our street. I decided that parking on the street would be just fine, so I left my van where it landed....up by the curb. Well, while I was posting my cookie blog below, I guess that the plow/ salt truck came by. I had heard snow shovels going for about 10 minutes and figured that since the snow had really let up by now, that my neighbors were planning on going somewhere, and where out shoveling their driveway. After posting my blog, I started to head upstairs and that is when I saw it. My dear neighbor from across the street was out shoveling my driveway. His wife was doing theirs and he was doing mine. I quickly put on my coat and went outside to thank him. He was on his last shovel full of snow. We will have to take some of our cookies over this afternoon. Really, what a nice and Christ-like thing to do. I really am blessed to live where I do and to have such kind and generous neighbors. Seeing their example makes me want to go out and do something nice for somebody else.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

How sweet!!!!! Doesn't it just make your day????

Debi said...

What a great Christmas story.... :)

Jessica G. said...

Wow, those are some great neighbors! What a good guy.