background

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Louisville Slugger Museum

On the last day of our trip last week we went over to the Louisville Slugger Museum. We had hoped that the new renovated museum would have been open, but it was opening the next week. We did however, get to take a tour of where they made all their bats. It was pretty cool. Usually you can see the bats as they are made by the workers, however, we went on Good Friday and everyone was off for the holiday! It was still neat to see the machines and learn more about bats than I ever thought that I would know. The kids had a blast and at the end of the tour, everyone got a mini-bat to take home. We also got the end pieces or nubs of the bats that the machines hold on to while they are being sanded. The boys thought that everything was so neat to see.
Weston thought that it was pretty neat to try out the bat of Babe Ruth! You can see in the crate behind him some unfinished bats and then nubs that I was just talking about.
Brian thought that this place was especially cool since he LOVES baseball! You weren't allowed to take any pictures inside of the actual factory. We were able to see all of the official types and colors of Major league baseball bats. I thought that the most interesting bat was the pink one. The players are allowed to use a pink bat once a year on Mother's day. They are allowed 2 pink bats in that game. One is to be given to their mom at the end of the game and the other is auctioned off after the game with the proceeds going to cancer.
Aaron was also fascinated by the bats. He really likes all bats (and has a tendency to whack people with bats sometimes~like his siblings!) so he thought that it was really cool. At one point the kids were able to pull a finished, but not painted, bat of the players that had contracts with the Sluggers out from a cart. I thought that it was interesting that Aaron chose the bat of A Rod, who I know has admitted to drugs or something like that in recent years, but that was one of my brother, Aaron's, favorite players when he was alive. Aaron used to follow the Rangers so faithfully and it was almost like he was there whispering into little Aaron's ear to choose that bat!! :) Although we weren't there long, it was still a great time for us. After that, we headed back in the rain and storms back to our home. We had a great vacation week! The boys enjoyed the time off but are glad to be back in school!!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks like the boys really enjoyed that museum:) I just don't know much about any baseball players. I have only ever been to one baseball game my whole life...it just moves too slow for me.

Debi said...

The boys look cute with their bats! I'm glad they had a fun vacation. :)

Annette said...

That museum looks like fun. Jared would love it. Looks like your boys had a great time.