background

Monday, August 25, 2014

Annual Uncle Aaron Fish-out

 Tonight for Family Home Evening, we had our annual Uncle Aaron fish-out!  :)  We like to fish around his birthday to remember him.  We were going to do it last Monday night, but it was stormy.  We have been having hot, humid weather lately with quite a bit of rain and storms.  Anyway, I thought that we were going to get quite a few fish because as soon as I baited Evan's hook and he got it in the water, he caught the fish above.  I then re-baited his hook and he caught another that got off once he got it all the way up to the dock!  Silly fish!!  But, those were the only 2 fish that were caught!
 The fault was mine.  We didn't have any hot dogs.  And I was too tired today to go and get some.  So we used bologna (because I figured it was kinda like hot dogs, but trust me, it's not the same) and bread.  The evening started out sunny enough.  There were clouds and darker clouds scattered here and there.  But it was mostly sunny and very, very humid.  The kids didn't care though.  They were having a great time baiting their hooks and fishing.  For the most part, the kids are pretty self sufficient these days when it comes to fishing.  I just have to help Evan and Amber and keep track of Katelynn.  But Barth was there to help too! :)
 All of the rain that we have had lately has certainly made everything quite green!  :)  Weston was fishing with his cool bait that he got at scout camp.
 Evan and Aaron were trying so hard to catch more fish!
 Katelynn was really good and sat in the stroller just watching things all around us.  
 And then all of the sudden, it started to pour!!  Just my two little die hard fishermen kept fishing.  Evan was having a grand old time.  He didn't even have bait on his hook at this point, but that didn't stop him!
 And Amber was bound and determined to catch a fish too!  I think she was the most wet by the time we headed home!  :)
 And then Weston decided that he would go ahead and fish too once the rain got a little bit lighter.  There was no lightening or thunder, just showers.  The ducks thought that the weather was nice.  I brought an entire loaf of bread so we decided to feed them since we weren't catching any fish.
 Thankfully the dock has a covered gazebo part so we were able to stay dry for the most part.  Aaron was trying to throw the bread really far out to the ducks so he didn't have to get wet!  :)
 I asked Amber if she was having fun and this is what she did!  :)  Crazy girl!  She had a great time!
 Katelynn giving me the "cheese" face!
 And then the white ducks decided to come up by where we were at.  And oh boy, did Katelynn love that!!!!!
She kept reaching for them and growling at them.  Katelynn is so funny!  She growls for every single animal!  We try to get her to say quack, or moo, or neigh, but all she does is growl!  It is soooo funny!  Even though we got rained out and didn't catch that many fish, it was fun to go fishing in remembrance of Aaron.  Afterwards we came back and talked about Aaron and about eternal families.  I really am thankful for our fun family tradition!!!

2 comments:

Debi said...

I think that is why your kids seem to "remember" Uncle Aaron (of course, you do have his namesake with you every day, so that helps, too.) Thank you for sharing your fun FHE. Next time be sure to take hot dogs for bait! :)

Amanda said...

I think this such a neat tradition! Glad u shared it! And I will take ur advice on the hot dogs! L wants to go fishing so bad.....he has never been. I will have to make that happen when it cools off and tell him more about his uncle Aaron while we fish:)