background

Friday, August 03, 2007

Reflections

As we near the one year mark of apartment living, I just had to take the time to think back on this past year. I wanted to show you Aaron's entire bedroom furnishings for the year.

This is it!! He has the cheapest pack and play made. It was $30 at Wal-Mart and is small with the hardest little pad known to man. We tried to doctor it up by buying an egg crate mattress topper and putting it under the sheet. His dresser is a nice plastic sterilite container. There are no clothes in the closet, just boxes. And yet, is he suffering? Nope!! He is a well adjusted (well, for the most part...he still hates nursery and most strangers) little 2 yr old boy!! He is happy and takes fantastic 3 hour naps every day. Who could ask for more? This poor little port-a-crib has got holes in it! He has worked his arms and legs through weak spots to make holes while he was bored while trying to fall asleep. Although this little crib will not really work for another child, it has been great for him. And to think that we bought this thinking that it was "temporary!" This little "temporary" crib has taught me a good lesson this past year. The lesson is that children don't really have to have all the "fancy" things to be happy and well adjusted. They don't need a fancy bedroom set with all the bells and whistles. They don't need coordinating sheets and bumper pads and curtains. While all those things are nice, all these sweet little children need are a Mommy and Daddy who love them and will take care of them. Although I would really like a house and all of my matching and coordinating things at this point, I don't really need them. I am fine. I have a roof over my head, wonderful children and a husband who supports and loves me!!! Really, who needs more than that?
Such a happy little boy!!! I love my little Aaron Baron!!
Isn't he sweet?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay--that post made me cry some more! I bet Aaron will be ready for a big boy bed soon anyway:)It is true...what kids need the most is LOVE, and Attention....and to feel safe and secure.

Shelly's Space said...

Your reflections are soooo....true!
Having parents who care and love them is all any child needs. He is a sweet boy for sure.

Annette said...

So true, so true. It's relationships that matter, not stuff. A good reminder for all of us.

Debi said...

Puts everything into perspective. I'm glad you recognize what is important in life. I love you.