This morning I went to Target to get some last minute things for Brian's party tomorrow. When I got there, we headed inside. As I stepped through the door, it was apparent that this section of town still had not had their power restored. This store was running on generators. About one in every 4 lights were on (if that). At first, it seemed so dark. Aaron kept commenting that it was spooky in there, and I have to admit that it was a little. He said that they were doing that for Halloween. The longer we were in there, the more accustomed I got to the lighting. Before we left, I was even thinking to my self, "It really isn't all that dark in here." But as I stepped back outside into the brilliant sunlight, I realized that it had, indeed, been quite dim inside.
And then, because my brain likes to churn, I got to thinking how so much like sin the whole situation was. When we first come upon sin, it seems so dark and yucky. Or, as Aaron put it, "spooky." But the longer that we are doing the things that we are not supposed to do, the less bad it seems, until, it seems like nothing. It isn't bad at all really. Just like the light. I thought by the end of my 30 minutes in Target that it seemed just fine. Not until we step out into the light, or see that light streaming in the doorway, do we realize how dark it is where we are. Not until we see how good and wonderful and brilliant life is without sin, are we really able to change and improve. There is no one that can be without sin except the Savior. As for me, I prefer to be out in the glorious sunlight than in the dark building run by generators. It makes me want to try even that much harder to do things the way that I know I should, so that I don't get slowly used to the dark. I love the light!! My biggest hope and dream is that I can teach my children to love the light and the Lord so that when the time comes, they will chose the light rather than the dark.
2 comments:
great analogy!
Good job thinking of things in a symbolic way....you're a chip off the old block!! :)
Post a Comment