background

Monday, November 09, 2009

Making a difference

There are times in my life when there are things that I don't like, or don't agree with. While complaining about it always makes me feel better, it rarely makes a difference unless I actually tell the people in charge!! :) I was taught to make my voice heard on things that were important to me. My mom was always a good example of that, doing what she could to make things the best for our family and community. So, at the beginning of this school year when a new school wide policy came home that I didn't agree with, I wrote a letter to the administration to make my voice heard in the matter. I must admit that I wasn't as fast in getting my letter out as I would have liked, but seeing as how I had just had Evan a week before the policy was emailed to me, I took care of it as soon as I could. After I wrote my letter, I set about talking to all my friends at school. Some of them also wrote letters of concern and brought up their concerns at parent teacher conferences that were held just a few weeks ago. I felt that, even if the policy didn't get changed, I did my best to let the school know that there were parents out there who didn't agree with the program and that was all I really could do.

Imagine my delight today when Brian came home from school with a note that stated that the program that I had difficulty with was being changed!!! I was SO EXCITED to say the least!!!! The reasons that were stated for the change in the policy were all the reasons that I had written in my letter to the Vice Principal of the school. I am sure that there were other parents besides me and my little groupies that wrote letters about this, but I do feel like I had a part in making a difference in getting the homework program changed for my kids!!! For me, today was just a good reminder that while it is fine to voice your displeasure to those around you, it is better to make it count by nicely and tactfully making your voice heard to the right people!!! Nothing can change if you don't try. And I know that there will be times that I may make my voice heard when it will come to nothing. But at least I can rest easy knowing that I tried my best to make things the best I can for my kids and my family. :) Today, I found out that I did make a difference. I am thankful to my mom for teaching me that if I try hard, I can make a difference!!!!

6 comments:

Debi said...

Dear Chip-Off-The-Old-Block: I am very proud of you for telling the proper people the way you felt about their silly homework policy and instead of ranting and raving, actually giving them the reasons you were against it. One person CAN make a difference! I'm glad you found that out for yourself. :)

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Woot! Good job! And thanks for the good example.

Jessica G. said...

Well, I've known for a couple decades that you are pretty awesome.
Okay, now dish on the details! What was the program?

Melissa said...

Good job, Kristie! :) I'm so proud of my big sister. :) :) :) You're the best!

Chris said...

What an encouraging post! Thanks. It reminds me of a mature woman I met in an airport once.
She said she always told her kids you have no right to complain unless you do something about it. It stuck with me.

Heather said...

Wow! That's totally cool. I need to be better at voicing my opinion. I too, often feel like it won't make a difference. But obviously, sometimes it does. You're such a good example to me:)