background

Monday, November 02, 2009

Pumpkins

Because Barth has been out of town for the last 3 weeks in a row for the majority of the week (only home on the weekends, and hopefully home for a long while now), we left the pumpkin carving until the last minute! So, Saturday after the boys games, Barth and I set out to help the kids with the pumpkins! In years past, the kids wanted nothing to do with scraping out the pumpkins, but this year I was pleasantly surprised at the good job that they did!! I cut off the tops and they set to work.
Even Brian, who has a weaker stomach, did fantastic with cleaning it out. He has kind of a low tolerance for smells that he doesn't like, so I am particularly impressed that he cleaned out his entire pumpkin....with a little help from Daddy. After the kids had cleaned out as much as they could, Daddy finished scraping the pumpkins out.
Doesn't Brian look so big in this picture? He is in desperate need of a haircut!! :) Now that Barth is home, hopefully I can get it done since he will be available to hold our little fusser!!!! :D
I think that Aaron and Amber had the most fun of all! Amber was really focused on all those cool, slimy seeds!! She was a girl after my own heart!!!! :) Her tongue is out in this picture because she is concentrating so hard on her work! Aaron loved every minute of it too!!
I don't think that I have seen a finer bunch of pumpkin carvers!! After the pumpkins were all cleaned out and faces drawn, Barth did the actual carving of the pumpkins while I ran a few errands! That night we set them out along the walk to our front door for trick or treating. Barth took Weston, Brian, Aaron and Amber out trick-or-treating while I stayed home with Evan to pass out candy. It is amazing how being one house off the beaten path effects how many trick or treaters you have. Our next door neighbors whose house faces the main street got roughly 200 trick-or-treaters. Our house, which is one house in on the cul-de-sac, got maybe 30 and I even sat in the driveway to pass out the candy!! It was COLD that night but still a lot of fun!
And here are the finished spooky pumpkins that the kids carved. The carvers of the pumpkins here from L to R are: Weston, Brian, Amber and Aaron. They did a great job!!! It was a fun family activity!!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love the cute pumpkins! I wish I could have carved some this year too. :) I'm glad that you had a good Halloween, Kristie. :)