background

Monday, February 11, 2008

Check it out!

Here is a new little gadget that I bought this last week. As you may or may not know, I have odd kids when it comes to being sick. While Aaron will run a very high fever (104 or higher) for nothing more than an ear infection, Weston and Brian, and now it seems like Amber too, simply DO NOT run fevers for anything. I can't tell you how many times I have been to the doctor to see if my kids had an ear infection since there is no accompanying fever. Sometimes they would have one so bad their eardrums were ready to burst, and other times they wouldn't have anything. So, when I saw this featured a few months ago in my Parents magazine, I really thought that it was a good thing to have. When Aaron and Amber got ear infections this past week, I decided to get one and see if it did, in fact, work. Well, it does!!!!! I am hopeing that even though it was a little more expensive than I would have thought, that it will be worth it in the long run!!!!! It even works on big people like me. I got the crud that the rest of my family had last week and my ears are all stopped up. Even though I don't have an infection, I do have fluid on my ears and I can tell it!! When I stick this thing in my ear and press the button, it registers as yellow-monitor, which if you read the book, it means that there is fluid on the ear, but no infection as of yet!!! Just thought that I would share my newly found device!

7 comments:

Jenny Jensen said...

I wish i would have had something like that back in my freshman year of college. I got shingles inside my ear, but when I first went to the doctor, he said i had an ear infection. So for four days I took ear infection medication, and my ear just got worse. So i went back, and he told me he didn't know what was wrong with my ear, so I had to go to an ear/nose/throat specialist, and he knew EXACTLY what was wrong when he saw my ear. It helped that half my face was paralyzed due to bells palsy. I guess what i'm trying to say is...that is a really cool gadget!!!!!!!!!

Amanda said...

That is REALLY cool!!!! When you are well --let me know how much it was and where you ordered it from.

Kristie said...

Amanda- They only sell them at Walmart online or at Babies-r-us. I went to babies-r-us and got mine in the section where they have the thermometers, etc. It was $50!

Debi said...

Thanks for posting a picture of your new gadget!! Now I know what it looks like.

Amanda said...

considering we pay $35 co-pay for every doc. visit I am getting for this next baby!

Jessica G. said...

So what is it called? What a handy device! And I thought my temporal thermometer was nifty...

Kristie said...

It is called EarCheck!! Just like you see on the thingy!! I think it is pretty cool......and I keep checking my own ear because mine HURTS like crazy!!!!! There is just fluid on it, but darn it if it doesn't hurt. I have WAY, WAY, WAY more sympathy for my kids when they have ear infections now!!!!!!!