background

Friday, February 15, 2008

Our newest Chessmaster!

Here is our newest little chessmaster. The boys, including Barth, love to play chess. Weston and Brian play everyday, usually multiple times. They think that it is great fun. And so, following in the footsteps of his older brothers, Aaron likes to play as well. The other night, he decided to set up the board to play a game. It was so cute to watch. As he got each piece, he would tell me the name of it (the ones that he knew anyway) and then place it on the board. Now, I don't really know what piece goes where (I am new to this game), but I know that all the pawns go in the front and that the king and queen go in the middle on the back. Aaron was very particular on where he put everything and even got a few of the pieces right. He was so cute about the whole thing that I had to take pictures so that I would remember it. (and please try to overlook the mess in the background....I was still feeling sick that day!)
Here he is setting it up.
Here is the finished board. He had actually started to play here.....he moved his knight out. It was funny because he would say, "Your turn Mommy." Then I would move and he would immediately move his piece to my spot and take it, and then say, "Let's play again!!" No getting the king in check for him!!!
And this is how the finished board is supposed to look, just in case you were wondering.
Aaron getting ready to play with me.
Here is Amber chillin' on the floor while I play with Aaron. I thought that the sweater was cute for a buck at our resale shop.....just the perfect price for a valentine thing!
And here is Weston and Brian goofing off together while Aaron and I played!!!

Here is a tidbit for you about Aaron's doctor's appointment that I took him to yesterday morning. He was not going in for an ear infection, but because he has been complaining of a stomach ache for the past few weeks. The doctor couldn't find anything that could be wrong and so then I decided to ask him about Aaron's growth. He lives up to his namesake, in that he is a small little guy, especially if you compare him to how big his brothers were at the same age. Aaron has actually worn the same size of clothes for the past 2 years now and just seems small. Not that I think that there is anything wrong with being small (heck, both Barth and I are short), but when he went from being in the 75th percentile for height and weight at age 1, to the 35th at age 2, I stated to get a little concerned. So, at his appointment yesterday, they weighed and measured him. While his weight was fine in comparison with the last time he had been weighed (he was up to the 40 % mark) , his height had fallen considerably. He is now just barely on the 5th percentile mark for his age, having grown only a half an inch in the last 7+ months. Although the doctor was pretty sure that things would be fine, they will do some further testing to make sure that all is well.


4 comments:

Amanda said...

That is so neat they all love Chess:) I have never played it....I am not a big game person anyway:) I love Amber's cute sweater. BTW my living room looks like that everyday and I only have P. A few toys here or there is not a mess:)

Ddd your ear infection monitor thing work on Amber?

Kristie said...

No- she wouldn't hold still long enough for it to work, and I wasn't willing to wait until the morning to see if it was an infection, so I just took her in. (I didn't want another long night if it could be avoided) As it turns out, her ears weren't infected (yet), just had fluid on them. Give them a few more days........

Debi said...

I love all the pictures. I agree with Amanda, the house is just fine. You shouldn't worry so much about the house, everybody's house has toys on the floor when they have kids! Aaron is so cute with his chess game. I like Brian's haircut and yes, the valentine's sweater is adorable. You should have posted a picture with her wearing it yesterday. :)

Heather said...

I always forget how much younger sibling look up to older ones, but it is SO true! It's a good thing we have such great older examples!