background

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Promptings

I am always in awe of the Holy Ghost and how we can get promptings for things. I have had lots of promptings in my life. I have had very strong ones when I have known exactly what I needed to do and say. I have had other ones when it has just been a thought to give someone a call that ended up needing help. I have gone to see someone at the exact moment that they needed someone to be there, and I just thought that I was going to take some cookies!! I love how the Holy Ghost works.

Last night, I was lucky enough to have another prompting. I was sitting on the couch with Barth, relaxing. As I sat there, I decided to go to the basement to get something out of Brian's baby book that I was thinking about. It was something that could have easily been done the next day, or the day after, but I got up and did it then. As I walked to the unfinished portion of the basement, I got the thing that I was looking for, and just happened to glance over towards the hot water heater. We have an extra tank above the heater (none of our other houses had this thing, so I am not even sure what it is called) that is there to take care of making sure that the water heater doesn't have too much pressure and explode, or something like that. Well, I noticed that it was leaking. All over the place. The top of our humongous hot water heater was covered with water. Water was going down the heater onto the floor. The water was coming out in a steady stream. I called up for Barth right away. After a call to my dad, he shut off the hot water all together and the leaking slowed. Thankfully, this morning we were able to get it fixed.

I know that the thought to go down to get the particular thing about Brian at that very moment was a prompting. It was not anything more than a thought. But I know that had I not gone down there, things would have been much different. We caught the problem when it was just happening. There are warnings all over the small tank that say that if there is too much pressure, it can explode. If that had not happened, I am quite sure that the release vavle on the actual hot water heater would have tripped and at least a good portion of the unfinished basement would have been covered in 80 gallons of water. That is where we store everything. It would have been a huge mess to clean up.

I am so thankful that the Lord was watching out for us. He really does know what is going on in our everyday lives. Even the little things like our hot water heaters. I am so thankful to have the gospel and the Holy Ghost as my companion. I am thankful for experiences such as these that help to build my testimony.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

so glad you followed that prompting! That would have been some clean up:(

Too bad the boys school is going to go into summer:(

ProudDaddy said...

Just a couple of things. water "things" usually don't explode. They start leaking like yours did. But had that water line burst you probably would have had more than 80 gallons of water in the basement because that was the inflow line and would have continued to run until you would have turn a valve off. Just thought that I would cheer up your day.
I am really glad you guys called and that nothing was ruined by a water leak. Love Dad

Annette said...

I think the greatest part of the story is that you are worthy to have prompting, to recognize them as such and most importantly to act on them. You are always such a great example to me of being exactly obedient and following the Spirit.

Jessica G. said...

Oh, wow...Glad to hear that you caught the problem in time because you listened!

Chris said...

My promptings are very quite & come across as being nonchalant like that too. I'm glad you recognized the source & that Heavenly Father watched out for you & all your precious belongings.

Debi said...

:O I'm glad everything worked out all right. I'm glad you had the prompting.

Crystalyn said...

I always thought to receive a prompting you need to be worthy of it, just as Annette said. I recently have really be studying and crying and pondering over this issue. I have found it is a lot more then being worthy. I believe I am worthy but I also have realized recently that I "offend the spirit" all day long. Everyone can understand getting mad at your child or watching bad commercials during a good show. I now understand that it's offensive to the Holy Ghost. I do too many things during my day that is offensive and can't list them all, but I bet all mom's have totally done them too. Those things I do make me unable to receive promptings. Even though I am worthy.

So but here is the next level of understanding I have not yet gotten a "feel good" answer about. Can you give me your thoughts? Have you ever gotten your inspired answer and later you learn you were wrong. Your inspired answer was not correct. I feel offended, because I truly try to always do the Lords will and listen to know which way to go. Then I receive and answer and it's not the way I should have gone. I almost feel lied too. Has that ever happened to you.